Calendula officinalis for long—also known as the “Pot Marigold”— is a plant within the family Asteraceae. It is native to the Mediterranean region of Europe, although it can now be found around the world. Calendula plants stand out with bright petals, usually yellow or orange, growing 1-2 feet tall. Its narrow petals are described as a sunray shape. In addition to being a culinary tool, Calendula is best known for its medicinal uses.
The flower is widely used as a medicinal plant whose antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties make it a strong ingredient for healing. In addition to using whole petals, Calendula flowers can be ground into powder or made into oils, creams, and ointments. The FDA has approved calendula for use as a spice and as an ingredient in cosmetics, soaps and shampoos, body creams, and wound treatment, both internally and topically.
Considering the exciting potential of Calendula, it is also important to know what it is not. It is not the same as a French Marigold, which is part of the Tagetes genus. Unlike Calendula, these marigolds are not edible and do not share in the versatile usage. However, they are also quite beautiful and have similar vibrant colors. One way to distinguish the two is to look at the petals. The petals of French Marigolds are a bit more layered than the Calendula, creating a more fluffy bloom than the Pot Marigold. Before ingesting or applying a marigold mixture, make sure you’re working with the health-inducing Calendula, not its ornamental cousin, the French Marigold.
5 Health Benefits of Calendula
1. Heals Wounds
2. Assists with Digestive and Immune System
3. Hydrates and Nourishes Dry Skin
4. Slows Development of Wrinkles
5. Reducing Scarring
-Ingredients: Marigold petals
-Product Style: Loose Leaf
-Tea Type: Herbal
-Tea Flavor: Marigold
-Botanical Name: Calendula officinalis
-Shelf Life: 2 years
-Basic Preparation: Non-caffeinated; 3 grams of tea per six ounces of water yields approximately 150 cups per lb. of tea.
-Recommended Applications: Start with cold, fresh water. Preheat tea pot, use approximately 3 grams of tea leaves for 6 oz of water. For tea, steep 5 minutes.
-For Herbal Teas/Tisanes: brew as black teas, with water to rolling boil. Pour over tea or herbal, do not boil botanicals when making tea.
-Handling / Storage: To be stored in a cool, dry area out of direct light.
-Country of Origin: Greece
-Caffeine Free? Yes
-Dietary Preferences: All Natural, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO
-Allergen Information: None Specified
- ALL NATURAL, NON-GMO, NO FILLERS, BINDERS OR PRESERVATIVES: All of our products are natural and organic, with no additives or fillers!
- TRADITIONALLY MADE IN GREECE: Our products are traditionally made in Greece, like our ancestors, to maintain the best aromas and flavors!
- HEALTHY & DELICIOUS: Our goal in our stressful everyday life is to bring pure and therapeutic products to people who want to take care of their health!
- HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS: We only use pure and raw ingredients in all our products!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device